In 21 Songs in 6 Days: Learn Ukulele the Easy Way and in my classroom, I use songs from the public domain for many reasons:
- I want to teach my students to respect intellectual property laws. While my orchestra is playing Pirates of the Caribbean,” I bought that piece. I did not steal it.
- Public domain songs teach our common American Heritage of folk music. We have become a multicultural society; learning these songs is a nice way for newcomers to learn our heritage. I have many immigrants in my classroom. It’s also a great way to support English language learners.
- These songs are classic and many are timelessly funny.
- Many great composers have quoted folk music throughout time. After all, Mozart wrote variations on Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.
- Public domain songs tend to have appropriate lyrics for all age learners